Inspection of Schools
7.1 Inspection of Elementary schools
1) The Director of Elementary Education shall be responsible for the supervision and inspection of all schools in the State.
2) For the purpose of sub-rule (1), the Director may assign all or any of the functions relating to the supervision and inspection to such officer subordinate to him, and as may be authorized by him in this behalf.
3) Every officer, authorized by the Director of Elementary Education under sub- rule (2), shall discharge his/her duties of supervision and inspection under the direction, control and supervision of the Director of Elementary Education.
4) The Director of Elementary Education may also form a team/panel of persons with special knowledge and experience of different subjects taught in schools to carry out inspections of the schools.
5) The Director of Elementary Education may also carry out surprise inspections through any officer authorized by him in this behalf.
6) The president of the panchayat and members of the concerned ward will inspect the Elementary schools in their respective jurisdiction so that the presence of teachers and non-teaching staff in the school could be ensured. It has been made obligatory to keep an inspection book in each school in which the presidents and members of the panchayats can record their observations. The presidents and the members will also send their observations to Dy- Directors Elementary Education. These observations will also be placed before the Education Committee of the panchayat. The Dy-Directors Elementary Education will offer their views on these observations within one month.
7) Every inspecting officer, other than the Director of Elementary Education, inspecting a school shall,within 15 days from the completion of the inspection, submit a report to the next higher authority with a copy to the concerned school and the Director of Elementary Education for such further necessary action and compliance, as might be deemed fit in the matter.
8) When the Director of Elementary Education himself makes the inspection, he shall send a copy of the inspection note to the Head of the concerned school with a copy to the Deputy Director Elementary Education of the concerned district for necessary action and compliance.
7.2 Annual surprise inspection/targets
The annual calendar and targets for annual inspection and surprise inspection of the subordinate offices and government Elementary schools drawn up by the Directorate of Elementary Education are at Annexure I (a, b, c & d).
The annual inspection of office of the Dy-Directors Elementary Education will be conducted by the officers of the Directorate as per dates mentioned against each district in the calendar at Annexure-II.
All the Dy-Directors Elementary Education in Himachal Pradesh and District Education Officer, Lahaul at Keylong, Himachal Pradesh should therefore, remain present in the office and also to keep the Inspection Proforma duly completed in all respects on the day of inspection. Proforma for inspection of government Elementary schools is at Annexure-III.
The Dy-Directors Elementary Education and Block Elementary Education Officers will also draw up annual inspection calendar as per inspection target fixed in Annexure-I.
7.3 Advance notice of inspection to be given to schools
Except in the case of surprise visits, intimation of the proposal to carry out the inspection of a school shall be given preferably, one month in advance to the head of the school.
1) Every inspection shall be as objective as possible and shall be aimed at bringing out an improvement in the standards of teaching in the school.
2) While making the inspection, the following items should be critically examined, viz.
1 Academic work, i.e. actual teaching and its different aspects including teacher diary.
2 Library and its utility to students and teachers.
3 Games and sports and their organizations.
4 Co-curricular activities.
5 The overall environment and interpersonal relations of the teachers among themselves, with the parents of the students and the community in general.
6 Administration and organization of the school.
7 Accounts of the school and their maintenance.
8 The school plan and physical needs of the school.
9 Discipline and punctuality in the school.
10 Adherence to the rules and instructions by the school.
11 National integration/emotional education/value education and other items as incorporated in the inspection programme.
12 Calendar of activities.
13 Celebration of annual function.
3) The inspecting officer shall go to each class and watch the teaching in at least two classes of each teacher and shall specifically note the good and bad points observed.
4) All the inspecting officers shall ensure that follow up action on report is taken promptly.
7.4 Guidelines for Inspecting Officers
The supervision or inspection shall;
1) aim at providing academic guidance to teachers and help the institution in the promotion of a higher standard of education;
2) not aim at fault finding of the teachers and their work, but for providing concrete suggestions for the improvement of teaching, class work, home work and its correction;
3) help the institution in organization of co-curricular programmes in a manner conducive to the all round development of the students and help in the co- curricular development of the school.
The supervision and inspecting officers shall;
1) formulate a definite plan for supervising the subjects and classes of each teacher.
2) focus attention on the teaching-learning situation and not on the teacher as a person.
3) emphasize the professional growth of the teacher by developing his/her powers of self direction.
4) give the teachers requisite freedom to try out new experiments, methods and innovations in the process of teaching.
5) help the teachers to understand the role of the school, and the objectives to be achieved through the teaching-learning process in the school.
7.5 Inspection report
The proforma of inspection report to be filled in the prescribed format is given at
Annexure-I (Reference Para 9.2) Annual Surprise Inspection/Targets for Inspection
Proposed Inspection Schedule in Elementary Education Department
(Annual Inspection with prior notice)
Center Head Teacher (2097 No.) will inspect 100% schools within their centers in each quarter
4 Schools on an average.
|Block Elementary Education Officers (124): will inspect 100%
Primary Schools under their respective jurisdiction. The inspection schedule will be divided proportionally in each quarter keeping in view the vacation schedule
|90 to 100 schools per
(i.e.10514/124) on an average
|Headmaster(High Schools 845 approx.) All the Middle Schools
under their respective control at least twice in a year.
|4 Schools on an
|Deputy Directors of Elementary Education (District):
a) Will inspect 100% Block Elementary Education Offices.
b) At least 40% Middle schools and
c) 10% Primary schools within their jurisdiction annually. The inspection schedule will be divided proportionally in each quarter keeping in view the vacation schedule. They will try to cover maximum schools and repeated visits to same schools should be avoided.
|124 Block offices
80 to 90 schools on an average
Annual inspections by Directorate Level Officers
|Director of Elementary Education||2 Dy.DEEEs Offices|
|10 BEEO’s offices|
|10 Middle Schools|
|20 Primary Schools|
|Addl. Director (Admn)||One||4 Dy.DEE Offices|
|30 BEEO’s Offices|
|50 Middle Schools|
|100 Primary Schools|
|Joint Director Elementary Education||One||6 Dy.DEE Offices|
|30 BEEO’s Offices|
|50 Middle Schools|
|100 Primary Schools|
|Deputy Director Elementary Education||Five||20 BEEO’s Offices each|
|50 Middle Schools each|
|100 Primary Schools each|
|Asstt. Director Elementary Education||Six||50 Middle Schools each|
|100 Primary Schools each|
Joint Controller(F&A)/Asstt. Controller(F&A) may be associated with the inspection teams from the Directorate to inspect Deputy Director offices and BEEO offices. Inspections teams from Directorate will conduct annual inspections of:
1. All the 12 district level Deputy Director of Elementary Education offices.
2. At least 80 to 90% of Block Elementary Education Offices.
3. At least 50 to 60% Middle Schools and
4. At least 40% Primary Schools.
In addition to regular annual inspections the surprise inspections will be conducted in the following manner:
1. Director, Addl. Director and other Directorate level officers will conduct surprise inspection of any of the subordinate offices and middle/ primary schools as per the directions of the Director Elementary Education.
2. Deputy Directors at District level will visit the Block Elementary Education offices, Middle / primary schools within their districts from time to time (at least
20% offices/ schools to be covered annually).
Headmaster High Schools/ BEEOS and CHTs will pay surprise visits to schools under their respective jurisdiction (at least 30% schools to be covered annually).
Submission Inspection Reports
Every inspecting officer other than the Director of Elementary Education, inspecting a school/office shall within 15 days submit a report on the prescribed “School Inspection Proforma” to the next higher authority with a copy to the concerned school. When the Director of Elementary Education himself makes an inspection, he shall send a copy of the inspection note to the head of the school/ office with a copy to the concerned Deputy Director Elementary Education of the concerned district for necessary action and compliance.
1) CHTs will submit inspection reports to the concerned BEEOs within 10 days of the inspection.
2) BEEOs will submit the information regarding inspections by CHTs in consolidated form to the concerned Deputy Director of Elementary Education along with the action taken report with a copy to the Directorate of Elementary Education.
3) BEEOs willl submit inspection report in r/o schools inspected by them to the concerned Dy. DEE within 10 days, who will compile the information in r/o all BEEOs and submit the same to the Directorate quarterly on the prescribed proforma.
4) Headmasters will submit inspection reports in respect of middle schools inspected by them to the concerned Dy.DEE.
5) Dy. DEEs will send the inspection reports in r/o BEEO’s offices to the Directorate. In respect of schools inspected by them a consolidated report will be sent to the directorate quarterly. They will also submit a quarterly consolidated report of middle schools inspected by the concerned Headmasters.
6) Action Taken Reports will be submitted to the higher offices with consolidated reports by all the inspecting officers.
|Name of office
District Elementary Education Office
|Date of annual inspection|
|1.||Kinnaur||June 1st week|
|2.||Spiti at Kaza||June 1st week|
|3.||Shimla||June, 2nd week|
|4.||Kullu||June, 3rd week|
|5.||Lahaul at Keylong||June, 3rd week|
|6.||Kangra||July, 1st week|
|7.||Chamba||July, 1st week|
|8.||Bilaspur||July, 2nd week|
|9.||Mandi||July, 2nd week|
|10.||Hamirpur||August, 1st week|
|11.||Una||August, 1st week|
|12.||Solan||September, 1st week|
|13.||Sirmaur||September, 2nd week|
SCHOOL INSPECTION PROFORMA
1.Name of School Centre/Complex
2. Name of Block Tehsil Distt.
3. Name and Designation of inspecting officer
4. Date of inspection
5. Name of Incharge of school
6. Date on which the school was last inspected
a) Who inspected the school last
b) Compliance of earlier Inspection Report and steps taken to implement
1. Staff Position (sanctioned posts/existing posts) No.
|Posts||Sanctioned||Filled||Vacant||Present||On authorized Leave||Absent if any||Remarks|
8. Details of staff
|S.No||Name & Desig.
nal qualifica tion
working in the present school
appoint ment in the present post
/PAT/ GVU/ Other
1. Has the attendance register been filled/maintained according to rules
2.Whether casual leave register is maintained upto date as per rules
|Name||Post||Period since absent.||Remarks|
a) Details of absent officials
b).Information about late comers
10. Attendance of students
|Class||Total number||On leave||Absent||Present|
11. Details of students who left the school during current academic session
|S. No.||Name of student||Date of admission||Date on which name struck off/ withdrawal||Reason for leaving the school by the students and efforts made to bring them back to school|
12. Annual result of previous Three Years of class 1ST TO 8TH of the school
13. Building Details
a) Is the school housed in government building or in hired building
b) Description of school building
construction and year
has been handed over to Education Deptt.
boundary wall exists on all the four sides of the school or not
required if any
13.(A) Details of white wash/repairs carried out in the building
I a. Date of white wash last carried out in the building
c. Executing office/agency
II a. Nature of repair
b. Date of repair c. Number of days devoted in repair d. Expenditure
e. Executing office/agency
13.(B) Sitting arrangements for teachers/students in the school
1. Is the staff room available in the school ? Yes/No
2. Number of Class rooms
3. Number of chairs and tables in the school
4. Number of almirahs/trunks/boxes in the school
5. Number of blackboards/wall boards in the school
b) Sitting arrangements for children
1. Are tat patti/carpet patti/desk benches available
in adequate numbers in the school ? Yes/No
14. Drinking water/electricity/toilet facility
a) Is the facility of drinking water available in the school? Yes/No b) Is the electricity facility available in the school? Yes/No c) Is the toilet facility available in the school? Yes/No
15. Details of funds
|Total deposit on
deposited in bank/post office
16. Inspection report in respect of following documents in the school a) Admission and withdrawal register b) School stock register/assets register
c) Library register
d) Other registers
17. Guardian-Teacher interaction
a) Has the guardian-teacher council been constituted? Yes/No
b) Has the mother-teacher council been constituted? Yes/No c) Has the village education committee been constituted? Yes/No
d) Has building fund committee been constituted? Yes/No
18. Utilization of material distributed under Centrally Sponsored Scheme
|Stock Entry||Date of
19. Implementation of mid-day-meal scheme
i) Has the proper record/register been maintained ?
ii) Quality of mid-day-meal being provided to students
iii) Remarks other details
20. Working of the School i) Morning Assembly
b. Exhibition of various articles
c. Name of teacher speaking on value education
d. Entry/departure of students in the morning sabha
ii) Uniform/dress of students
a. Number of students without uniforms b. Cleanliness of dress c. General get up/looks of children
iii) Health of children relating to
a. General health
b. Cleanliness of teeth/protection of teeth
c. Cutting of nails etc.
iv) Inspection of teaching work in class
v) Checking of exercise notebooks by Teachers/Center Head Teacher
. N o
|Total no. of
exercise note books sample checked by the inspector
notebooks checked and corrected by teacher
21. Is the library facility available in the school? Yes/No
i) Total number of books in the library
ii) Number of books issued to the students during the month
22. Is the playground facility available in the school? Yes/No
i) Area of the ground
ii) Situation of the ground
23. Is any sports related material available in the school? Yes/No
i) If yes, then give details of available sports material.
ii) Whether participated in sports competition/tournament etc. Yes/No
If yes, upto what level iii) Number of students who took part in sports competition iv) Achievements v) Expenditure vi) Office/Organization from which funds were arranged
24. Details of co-curricular activities
i) Do the students take part in co-curricular activities regularly? Yes/No
ii)Type of co-curricular activities being taken up in the school
iii) Time of taking up such activities in the week
25. Details of disabled children in the school, if any.
i)Number of disabled children in the school
|S. No.||Name of student||Nature/type of disability|
ii) Steps taken by the teachers to educate the disabled child.
iii) Type of encouragement/inspiration is being provided to the disabled children in the school.
iv)Total amount/type of assistance being provided by the department and other organization.
v. Details of utilization of grants by the school.
26. Details of teachers who received in-service teacher-training during last 3 years
|S. No.||Name & Desig. of teacher||Date and period of training received|
27. Was comprehensive “Adhigam” Learning material available in school? Yes/No
If yes, give details
28. What extra material is required to bring efficiency in teaching?
29. Has the radio-cum-cassette player been provided in the school Yes/No
If yes, the time prescribed to use RCCP.
30. Kindly indicate those special new activities which have been introduced in the school?
31. Do the teachers take special classes of weak students?
32. Report of interaction with the teachers and an account of teachers problems?
33. Has the Pradhan, Gram Panchayat or President of Block Development
Committee/President of Zila Parishad ever visited/inspected the school?
34. Personal contact established by the Inspector with the Panchayat Pradhan and an account of their reaction on departmental activities.
35. What additional facilities are required to raise the education standard of the school (observations of the Inspector)?
36. Any special suggestion/observation or report of the inspecting officer
Signature of Inspecting Officer
Note: If the space provided for report is inadequate, please use separate sheets.